Windows 7 (and some other versions of Windows) has the concept of a default playback device and a default communication playback device. If you have more than one audio device e.g. headset and internal speakers, it is possible that your PC is not set up as you would like.
- The default communication playback device is used for communications such as calls or video conferences
- The default playback device is used for everything else (if the default communication device is defined)
To check this:
- On your PC, right-click on the speaker icon in the Notification Area and select Playback devices.
- Do one of the following:
- To use the same device for all audio functions, select a device from the list and then click Set Default.
- To set different default devices, select a device from the list and then click the down-arrow and select an option. Repeat this step for another device and the other default option.
- Click OK.
Note: You can also check your microphone default settings in the Recording tab.